Saturday, May 1, 2010

For your fancy stamps




My new obsession is silver stamp cases.

They came into vogue around 1850 in the UK and were produced there until about the time of the first World War. Their purpose was to safely and elegantly hold stamps, which came on the scene for the first time in 1840. The wearer would keep a case on his or her person with a few stamps inside, should the urgent need to post a letter arise! This is a great example of how, in Victorian England, even the most mundane item could be transformed into an accessory. The fact that the designers of these things made them look like tiny envelopes is just too much for me. Too much perfection.

I love compartments, Victorian stuff, and little things that snap shut . . . which means I have a serious crush on these little cases. I want one! So does everyone else, apparently (i.e. they are spendy). But I'm going to be patient: I know I'll find one someday.

2 comments:

ScottieinaCanoe said...

Wow! I have never heard of a stamp case, but leave it to the Victorians and all of that letter writing that was going on among them, to come up with such an elegant little stamp holder. Sort of like a locket for stamps. I hope you find one :)

Wild Tea Party said...

Oh so that's where these originated! I have a modern replica one that a friend gave me and put a little letter inside of it.

Post a Comment