Monday, August 2, 2010

Shirley Jane





I found a ring ring last month that puzzled me. It was a.) certainly from the 1930s b.) marked Made in Czechoslovakia and c.) featured a photo of a young Shirley Temple behind the glass. Side note: Ms. Temple served as the U.S. Ambassador to Czechoslovakia in her later years (1989-1992).

I learned that there was actually a series of Shirley Temple portrait rings produced in the mid 1930s when she reached childhood stardom, featuring her in a variety of expressions. I found a photo of six of them that went for auction earlier this year and was excited to find my ring in the line up!

I assume that these rings were intended for children, as mine is barely as size 3 and the auction lot were all size 5. I think it would be really cool if someone made rings like this today! Has anyone seen any modern portrait rings? Movie stars or otherwise? Can someone make these for Mad Men characters please? If you wore a portrait ring of a movie star, who would it be?

10 comments:

The Church of Vintage said...

It kind of reminds me of mourning jewelry. Very charming.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Though it seems like she is going to open her mouth and say something

Wild Tea Party said...

Bizarre but fantastic....

And no, I've never seen anything like this before....But madmen rings would be cool.

KristiMcMurry said...

Lovely! I've never seen anything like that before.

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Very cute--what a fun find!

I'm weird. I'd probably want a Steve Buscemi ring.

lauren said...

ALF!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I would want black and white set in sterling silver. I would choose Paul Newman from the Cool Hand Luke days. Although, Shirley Temple happens to be a favorite of mine as well.

Kellie said...

OOoh, I've never seen anything like this before! It's so cute! What a great vintage find! :D

Unknown said...

Did you happen to find out anything else about the ring? I also have one similar with a queen image.

Unknown said...

Did you happen to find out anything else about the ring? I also have one similar with a queen image.

Post a Comment