Friday, April 20, 2012

16 weeks old!


I figure a check in with a photo of the lad about once a month is good, non? Well, our last photo was at about the three month mark and here we are now - almost four months old! Severen is getting so big. He is wearing six month clothing and has almost outgrown his changing table and co-sleeper. I'm not sure how much he weighs but I'm guessing around 18#. And dude - his head is like 3/4 the size of mine?! I love his little chickie hair, too.

He is super fun to play with these days. He likes to reach for things, grasp at them and - if all goes according to his plan - shove them into his mouth. He is also getting more interested in food. He watches me like a little puppy when I am eating, kicking his legs and licking his lips. I've been giving him little licks of pears, strawberries, etc. and he loves it. The best thing, though, is his baby vocabulary. He makes a wide array of clucks, blurbbles (yep I made that word up), and coos. Damned if it isn't the best sounding stuff I've ever heard. I'll probably pass out the first time he actually says a word.

My big realization these last few weeks: life as a mom is a lot more enjoyable if you can include your baby in as much of your daily routine as possible. That means that it isn't always one-on-one, let's-stare-into-each-other's-eyes playtime at our house (although we do a lot of that, too!) Sometimes he rides in the Moby while I do laundry. Sometimes he plays on the floor in the kitchen while I chop vegetables or eat handfuls of cookies. Sometimes he chills out in his stroller at the post office while I ship packages. I used to feel guilty about having him do all that stuff with me but then I think - hey, maybe he sort of likes it?  For all I know, he might think that going to the grocery store is like a trip to Paris! Or that the kitchen floor is as fun as a carnival! What I do know is that when I include him in whatever I am doing, our day together goes much faster and usually smoother. And because we accomplish more when he is awake, my free time is truly my own when he is sleeping. Hellloooo yoga. Helllooo shop updates. It's a good thing.

10 comments:

oh, albatross said...

every time you post about severen i am reduced to coos and blurbbles too!

MWS said...

Emily,
He's beautiful and I always found Jonah loved doing things with me too. Now at 3 and a half, he's a great helper/shopper, etc. You guys are precious and always have the best pics!!

Bombshell Bettie said...

awwwwwww he is getting so big now!
i need to find a way to take corbin with me..maybe i'll strap him on next time i clean instead of hoping i can make it to mopping before he wakes up.

(oh and for the record weekly baby posts would be fine by me..hehehe)

De La Belle said...

what a cutie he is, I just love that second picture!

Kat said...

He is sooo beautiful! I am glad you guys are enjoying doing things together! Keep the baby posts coming!

steph.kelley said...

Sounds like you are finding a good balance. The bébé noises are totally charming, definitely. I love the image of you giving him licks of tasty fruit. And I love your Severen updates — keep 'em coming! xoxoxo

Wild Tea Party said...

Gosh he's big! I mean that in a good way, but it's hard to believe nearly four months ago he was a new-born looking at him now! Just crazy! And gosh his beautiful big blue eyes are just sweet.

Amanda / Rust Belt Threads said...

awwww, SO CUTE!

Emily said...

He is such a lovely-looking baby!

Sandy a la Mode said...

he is sooo cute!! and i can seriously relate to everything in your post!!

Post a Comment