Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Un petit voyage


Mamie, Fred Jr, & Fred Duffelmeyer, ca.1909 | grandpa & great grandparents

Mamie (black dress) and my grandpa (kid #6) with family and friends, ca. 1912

Miriam and Fred Duffelmeyer, 1937 | my grandma and grandpa

Tomorrow I leave for a week on a trip that I've been planning in my mind for almost two years. I'm headed to Missouri and Kansas to accomplish the following:

❥ visit my Grandma | The most important stop! My Grandma Miriam turned 95 in September. She married my grandpa in 1937. They were such a handsome couple!

❥do genealogy research | Both my grandparents have pioneer roots in those parts, so I'm hoping to find some great information at the local libraries and historical societies. You can bet I'm taking a roll of dimes for making copies, too. Disclosure: Genealogy is my big-time hobby - really, it is just a very personal kind of antiquing.

❥ go antiquing/rendez-vous with a couple of etsy buddies | I've got a long list of spots to scout for Jean Jean Vintage treasures on my roadtrip. I also get to meet up with a couple of etsy friends who are about to become real life friends! Super exciting.

❥ visit a chocolate maker | A vestige of my former job (chocolate/confectionery buyer), I'm going to spend the better part of a day working at the Askinosie Chocolate factory. I'm sure an unreasonable amount of chocolate will be enjoyed during my shift.

Family, genealogy, antiquing, etsy pals, chocolate - pretty much my five favorite things! Stay tuned for posts from the road!

14 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

wow, sounds like an exciting trip! LOVE that picture of your Grandma Miriam!

Jessica / Lola Vintage said...

Aww, your grammy is a little cutie, and I love that picture of your great grandma. Her outfit is quite stunning!

Jacqueline said...

Have a wonderful trip. Sounds amazing. I'm meeting my Ukrainian exchange student from high school in New York this weekend!

xoxo

Amy said...

Duff! You're such an adventurous lady! This is such a cool trip you have planned. Thanks for sharing it with us and best of luck!

Wild Tea Party said...

What a wonderful collection of photos to possess! Grandma Miriam is a pretty fancy lady!

Have a fantastic trip - I look forward to hearing about your adventures!

Margot Miller said...

It's remarkable how I can see a little bit of you in both of your grandparents! Didn't people dress so dapper back in the day? I'm bowled over by the snapshots of my mom's parents from the 30s/40s.

Have a blast of a trip! That sounds awesome!
Also, you were too sweet to compliment the chocolate corner via text message. I'm trying my hardest! :D

Sandy a la Mode said...

you're coming to my state?!?! yay! can you let me know where you go for antique shopping?! i know of a few places but i'm sure there are tons in KC that i haven't found yet!! have fun here! :D

Zohar said...

Oh wow that sounds amazing!! Enjoy your time there Duff and come back with many goodies for us :)

Kristin said...

i like doing family history research as well.

-Kristin
atasteofthis.etsy.com
kristindeleon.wordpress.com

labonnefemme1 said...

You have your grandmothers smile~

KristiMcMurry said...

I'd love to get into genealogy someday. Good luck with your searching!

Maria Casteel said...

your grandma is strikingly beautiful and i can see her in you.
glad i got to be one of the etsy pals in the path of your trip.
m

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Your ancestors are beautiful, especially your great-grandma and grandma. Don't you just love pioneer roots? I have a lot of pioneers on my x3-great-grandma's family. I love doing my genealogy, it's a perfect hobby for vintage/antique lovers - it helps you have a connection with vintage/antique things.

http://theladywiththelook.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment