Friday, December 9, 2011

Deco dresses


These runway images of the spring 2012 collections of (clockwise from upper left) Ralph Lauren, Gucci, Alberta Ferretti and Etro make my brain scramble. The accompanying article, Why Deco Now? by Ruth La Ferla in the New York Times "On the Runway" series is a good read for anyone who loves 1920s-1930s fashion. The most exciting think for me is that with renewed interest in flapper-style dresses comes renewed interest in flapper-style jewelry/accessories. Did you notice the looped strand of sautoir-length beads in the last photo? Hooray!

Images courtesy of the New York Times

9 comments:

ohdearwatson said...

so lovely... I love the Alberta Ferretti one the most.

Irene :: { Heirloom Attire } :: said...

Yay!!! I'm so excited! I just tried on two absolutely stunning 1920's dresses the other day and decided not to buy them because they were so delicate - it would be WONDERFUL to be able to buy lovely modern versions for more frequent wear!

Anonymous said...

Great post and article!

It's interesting to see how TV shows like Downtown Abbey and Boardwalk Empire, and movies such as Midnight in Paris influence trends. It happened with Mad Men so it was only a matter of time for the 20s to come back and like you, I'm so EXCITED! :D

lauren said...

dude, the second dress is magical. m a g i c a l

i want to wear it to fight crime on another planet!

steph.kelley said...

I'll take #4, please! And man, #2 is a skyscraper made into a dress. Insanity. xoxo

Marguerite said...

Oh, what fun! I like the femininity of the first dress! A month ago I added 4 simple sautoir style necklaces to my shop -- I thought they would be a lovely way to showcase the beads I have from the 20's and 30's. Maybe I need to lengthen them now that I see this! What's a good length, Duff?

Liane said...

These dresses are gorgeous! I haven't really looked at any of the Spring shows yet. Can't go wrong with the Art Deco vibe. I would love to wear that last Etro dress to something. The second dress--simply stunning. I love the architectural elements and the metallics with black.

antique rings said...

I love the black and silver dress on the right, the last picture. Great accessories also.

REBEKAH BROOKS said...

wow, these are fabulous!

Post a Comment