Thursday, December 22, 2011

A stollen story



The other day, I was working and daydreaming about stollen. I've craved it every holiday season ever since I had my first bite a few years ago at Zingerman's. Sometimes I buy one for myself. Last year, a friend made me one and shipped it from D.C. (thank you Mariana!) This year, I realized I had no plan for stollen acquisition. Fretting, I off-handedly posted this on Twitter:

Can someone just drop by and bring me some homemade stollen? I would be ever so grateful. I would also probably kiss you and cry.

And what to my wondering eyes did appear but a tweet from my sweet friend Olivia, who replied in less than one minute:

I've got a really good recipe if want to try making it yourself! Or I could make you some : )

Now, Olivia is a seriously great baker. It is my fervent wish that someday she will open a bakery where I can order her treats by the dozen. Her recipes are often creative (the last thing she shared was a persimmon purée and chocolate muffin with buckwheat flour) and she has an unfailing sense of proportion and good taste. So naturally, I pursued her offer to make me stollen. She graciously accepted and yesterday the mailman delivered the dense, precious little loaf to my door. Please see Exhibits A-C above. It is absolutely delicious.

Olivia keeps a cooking/baking blog here and here is her stollen recipe. Also, if you live in the Ann Arbor area and find yourself in need of a special treat, I highly suggest getting in touch with her (via her blog) and discussing a custom order. You will be so pleased!

4 comments:

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Mmmm. I am having a cup of coffee right now and a slice of that stollen would be so perfect!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful friend!
I've never actually tried stolen. It looks delicious!

Feronia said...

What a great friend! A stollen on the doorstep would solve so many of the world's problems :) Warm Christmas Wishes to you, Emily, and wishing you all good things for 2012 :)

Liane said...

The stollen and the packing it came in are equally beautiful. Very sweet friend. I'm not sure I've had stollen but I'm curious now.

Post a Comment