Friday, February 15, 2013

My journal, 1988


When I was visiting my mom last year I came across an old journal/notebook of mine. I was sort of shocked by what I wrote! I guess this was my way of dealing with some heavy seven-year-old stuff, like fear of tornadoes, fear of forest animals, fear of getting fired (even though I couldn't work for another 10 years!), fear of losing my parents, etc. And would you ever guess that the cute little girl in the turtleneck and oversized sweater was fantasizing about her adorable 3-year-old brother's untimely end? Hmm. It is sort of cute (especially the spelling) but also a little morbid, don't you think? Did anybody else keep journals like this as a kid?

3 comments:

steph.kelley said...

"She helped with the giveing the things to the peppele" — hilarious! These are priceless. I wouldn't say morbid so much as an exercise in empathy: you're figuring out how happy and sad relate to certain circumstances. That's my utterly non-expert opinion, anyway. :) I don't think I have any such early writing, but recently I paged through my middle-school journal and was impressed by the strong emotions that went into it...Not entirely dissimilar from being eatin by a bear! xoxoxo

Wild Tea Party said...

My old journals crack me up too. I find most of my journal writing was really intense. I wrote an epic (for a 6 year old) tale about a volcano killing everyone for a writing exercise. I am wondering though why the smart, pretty, hard-working girl got fired from Maccas. Must be a back story to that one...

Emily said...

I wrote *heaps* of stuff when I was a kid. It's so funny to look back on it, isn't it :)

Post a Comment