Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lift not the painted veil . . .





One of my favorite period movies is The Painted Veil. It is based off the book by the same title, which was published between 1924 and 1925. l love everything about it - the message of the story, the costumes, the actors (ohhh Edward Norton) and the musical score.

The best part is near the end, when they play the most beautiful version of A La Claire Fontaine. This song is cruelly left out of an otherwise outstanding soundtrack. When I saw the movie in the theater and that song started playing, I absolutely lost it. I've never cried so hard at a movie, before or since.

Photo credits: Glen Wilson/Warner Independent Pictures © 2006 via allmoviephoto.com

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I totally adore this movie too...So sad. So perfect.
I went out and bought a copy for the costumes but fell for the story...
xo

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this so I'll be ordering it from Amazon. The photos you posted make me think it will be a favorite!

lauren said...

oh utterly yes! have you heard the soundtrack? i used to listen to all the time when i worked at UM.

have you seen Brideshead Revisited?
well, see it!

Anne said...

EDWARD NORTON.

That is all.

Feronia said...

It has Edward Norton in it? Thanks for alerting me to this! I'll search out the DVD this weekend :)

Post a Comment