Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This castle


This past Sunday, The New York Times Magazine ran a story about castles for sale in Europe. I was, and remain, a bit entranced.

I decided that my favorite castle is this one, the Killahara Castle in Ireland. Not only does it appear to be the most solemn of all the castles in the article, but I love it's tower shape. It's like a castle silo that could be filled with anything! Candycorn! Cotton! Or, more likely, a series of rooms stacked on top of one another.

The castle was built in the mid 1500s and has had several owners over 500 years, including a number of prominent families, a farmer's co-op and even a cow. Today the castle operates as a guest house and it is also, of course, for sale if you want to buy it.

Photos credits: Eddie McGivern via the Killahara Castle website

6 comments:

Anne said...

I totally was looking at this last night. Great minds think alike...

lauren said...

that is my dream table!

that first photo looks just like the structure in the film, 'I Capture the Castle' which you should see!

Feronia said...

So beautiful! Thanks for the link I will go and have a look :)

Wild Tea Party said...

I've always wanted to live in a castle. I could completely see you living in this one!

My dream castle is this one, in New Zealand... http://www.larnachcastle.co.nz/index.pasp

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Beautiful! It appears to even have a dishwasher. And I agree with Lauren--that table is amazing.

I'm off to look at the Times link to shop for my own Scottish castle. (Hell, I'd take a croft.)

Anonymous said...

Let's go! I've been to a great many castles but this one, with it's simple setting and style, make me believe I could actually live in one!

Post a Comment