Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Moroccan wedding

This display represents about 1/20th of the cookies at the party.
Glasses ready to be filled with mint tea.
Getting into my first outfit/accessories with the help of my official dresser
I'm ready!
Soren's outfit was a little less elaborate than mine.
Our grand entrance.
I'm getting ready to be hoisted up in my awesome canopy.
Dancing with one of the younger guests.
Our second outfits and our second entrance.
This time we both get to go up!
Lots of singing, shouting and swaying to the great music.
Soren was instructed to kiss me on the forehead - it was a little tricky up there!
Back on the ground, feeding each other milk and dates and exchanging rings. Then we got to kiss for real.
I'm happy because Soren gave me a really sweet, big kiss.
Jouhara giving Soren a big hug as the party comes to an end.
The musicians' cheat sheets for our names. This one says "Emily (her)."
And this one says "Soren (him)"
Soren and me recovering the next day.
Almost exactly three years ago to the day, Soren and I were in Morocco having our second wedding. Let me explain! I first visited Morocco in the spring of 2002 when I studied in Rabat for a semester and lived with the El Idrissi family. I became very close to them, especially to my sister Jouhara, and I visited them again in 2005. In 2008, I decided it was time for Soren to meet my family and visit Morocco so we traveled there together in the summer. To mark our visit, and to properly welcome Soren into the family, Jouhara threw us a wedding party.

I had been talking about the party with Jouhara on the phone for months but I still had no concept of how serious it was going to be until we got to Morocco. It was basically a full-on wedding. I got my hair done. We made hundreds and hundreds of cookies for the guests. We rented extra chairs, glasses and plates. We hired servers and musicians. There was even a videographer. I certainly felt like I was getting married again! No matter how long I live I will never forget that day.

13 comments:

lauren said...

i am so happy you posted these photos duff, it's really sweet!

Zohar said...

after hearing about it a lot it's wonderful to actually see the pictures - how lovely and magical to have gone through this :)

Alison said...

You looked absolutely beautiful! That white dress - incredible.

tree and kimball said...

thanks for sharing the photos, duff - you looked stunning & my oh my... what a party!!

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

I am so not a wedding person! I really am not. I always say that, though, and then I see a post like this. This is just beautiful, and I love the queenly dresses and crowns. You guys look like you're having a blast! Thank you for sharing these.

No Carnations said...

So beautiful and appropriately you seem to be covered in jewels as a sign of your future :)
Happy 3rd second wedding anniversary.. what a great experience for you, thanks for sharing this moment.

Melissa Righero said...

This is so beautiful. I would love to get married over again to Mario. And Morocco would be the most ideal, romantic setting. So perfect Em.

Melissa Righero said...

And of course congrats!

Jen said...

So, so beautiful, Duff!!! What a sweet family you have there. Also, I would REALLY like to eat all those cookies.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful Duff!
How wonderful to have such a sweet second family and to have a fabulous second wedding thrown for you!

I think I'm going to dream about those cookies tonight. :)

Wild Tea Party said...

All I can say is that it looked like a blast and you looked fabulous!

BIKBIK AND RORO said...

Wow, you look absolutely beautiful -- a real queen :)

Brandy said...

Your wedding was so beautiful. The cake was splendid.

Post a Comment