Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mercury dime ring


Of the 60+ pieces of jewelry I purchased while I was in Iowa, this is the only one I am keeping for myself. I found it buried in a cigar box on a shelf behind the counter (yes, I asked if I could go behind the counter and dig around) at an antique shop. When I added it to my pile, the owner said "Oh you want that? That's an old dime ring!"

I had never heard of such a thing! It turns out that the ring is made from the Mercury dime, which was in circulation from 1916-1945. Also called the "winged Liberty head" dime, this particular coin is considered to be one of the most beautiful coins minted in the U.S. I would have to agree. I love that the band of the ring is made from the reeded coin edge, and also that the head of Liberty is cut in profile.

Coin image courtesy of mercurydime.net

9 comments:

Zohar said...

That is awesome, I would wear that in a heart beat in I'm not big on rings :) Very cool find!

Unknown said...

Thats seriously cool. I will be on the lookout next time I am digging...............

Hugs
Leslie

No Carnations said...

Great dig, you vintage sleuth, you!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I really think you need to sell the ring. I have a bare pinky waiting. Ha ha. Glad you had a nice trip to Iowa. I'm excited to see what you brought back.

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

Wow you have self control, I'd be so tempted to keep many of the pieces you find. Love the dime ring, I've seen pendants like this before but never a ring. I have an old 'Indian head' nickel ring but it's not cut out like yours (it's the whole coin).

Anonymous said...

its beautiful..

Rings said...

INCREDIBLE ! EXCLUSIVE ONE ! The ring is so different and unique. I have never seen such kind of design before..Thanks for sharing !

Anonymous said...

I have one of these rings, but mine appears to me much thinner than yours and the cut around Lady Liberty's head is a bit more detailed. Also, my head isn't curved, it's straight. Do you have any idea how much a ring like this is worth? Just curious>>>>Jill

Molly said...

I have this same exact ring! Any idea of value?? Molly in RI

Post a Comment