Friday, April 22, 2011

Why I like Easter

A wee little Duff with a bunny friend

When I was little, I loved hunting for candy on Easter morning. My dad was an expert candy-hider. He tucked individual jelly beans in between the keys of the piano, carefully perched foil-wrapped eggs on the narrow ledges of the floor boards and left gumdrops on the buttons of the cassette player in the living room. He would leave little piles of candy on the steps and perch a chocolate bunny on top of the toilet paper roll (causing major giggles from my brother and me). My mom says that he started hiding candy as soon as my brother and I went to bed the night before, sometimes working on the task for well over an hour. He did such a good job, that we usually found stray jelly beans around the house well into May! This weekend, I will be remembering my sweet dad and thinking of the hundreds of tiny candies that he lovingly hid for us over the years. I'll see you Monday for a big shop update!

6 comments:

lauren said...

this sweet post made me smile right away. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I had completely forgotten that my dad did this as well... months later we would still be finding plastic eggs full of candy. So great!

Anonymous said...

I think you should hide candy for Mr. JeanJean. Carry the tradition on for each other first, kids later. =0) Happy Easter!

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Aw--how cute are you! Although I have always felt Grinchy toward Easter (itchy dresses, bad candy, church), your post reminded me of the fun of searching for hidden candy around the house. Thanks, Duff!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing such a sweet memory.
And you are quite the little cutie. :)

Wild Tea Party said...

Thanks for sharing this sweet story :) Your Dad sounds like the lovliest Dad.

My mum always used to do the easter egg hiding, but she hid them in the backyard, and my brother and I would be out in our pjs and slippers finding easter eggs that were sometimes covered in snail slime.

Happy Easter Duff!

Post a Comment